Sunday, January 16, 2011

Arrival in South Africa!!

I’m here!! We got to Johannesburg last night, after the longest flight I have ever been on, and it was so surreal. Sitting on the plane, looking out the window as we approached the airport, I was struck by how flat, beautiful, and how so incredibly green South Africa is.

I flew out of Sea-Tac early Saturday morning with Tamara, and we had an uneventful flight to Washington D.C., where we met up with the rest of our group before our flight. The flight to South Africa was so crazy long!!! We stopped in Dakar, but weren’t allowed off the plane, before continuing to Johannesburg. I watched lots of movies, tried to sleep, ate the airplane food, and time actually passed more quickly than I thought it would. Thankfully, everyone’s luggage arrived in South Africa, and we all got through immigration and customs pretty easily. The CGE staff met us in the airport, before we left for the guesthouse where we will be staying during our 10 days in Johannesburg. We ate dinner, got to know each other a little bit, and then went to sleep, where I crashed. I think it’s going to take me a couple of days to get back on a normal sleep schedule.

I only have a couple of minutes before breakfast (and our busy day, which includes a tour of Soweto), but so far, it’s just weird to realize I’m actually here. The vegetation, the smells, the different bird calls, all remind me that I’m no longer in Washington. I don’t know what this semester is going to bring me, but I’m excited to get it started!!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting!!! Can't wait to hear more about what Johannesburg is like!

    ReplyDelete