Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ituye! or, Let's Go!

We leave early tomorrow morning for our two week travel seminar to northern Namibia. We’ve been packing for the two week trip all night, and it’s been a little stressful rounding up everything that we need. After the two weeks I’m going to be back in Windhoek for a day and a half before leaving on spring break!

The north is much more rural than Windhoek, but it’s the part of the country that gets the most rain, so there are a lot of people who live there. I’m going to be in another homestay for 8 days. I don’t really know anything about the family yet, so I’m a little nervous. Hearing stories from past semesters, it sounds like the families really vary. Some students lived in what we consider normal houses, while others lived in huts. I’m also worried about the food, just because I know I can have a really sensitive stomach, and I tend to be a picky eater.

We’ve been in language class for the last month, learning some basic Oshindongo. Basically, I know how to greet people and some general vocabulary. Here’s to hoping that I don’t make any huge language or cultural mistakes next week!

We’re with our families at night, but during the day we’re going to be with the group traveling around the north, seeing different sights and meeting with different guest speakers. After the homestay we get to go to Etosha National Park, where we should see lots of African wildlife. It should be quite the adventure!

Side note: I won’t have internet for 2 weeks, but I would love to come back to Windhoek to lots of emails and messages from my friends and family back home (or wherever you are around the world)!

No comments:

Post a Comment