Monday, April 11, 2011

simple pleasures

I am learning to appreciate all the little things here. Today I went on a long walk by myself after another long, dull day at my internship. There are so many things to love here! Warm air kissing my face. Pink sunsets over the mountains. Solitary joy during my walks. Knowing that when my internship is over next week, I don’t have to work in an office again if I don’t want to. Walking to Tom Thumb to buy delicious chocolate bars a few times a week. Friendships. Laughing. Beautiful birds flying away. Knowing that I can go home soon to family and friends and beach and mountains, but take home good memories and knowledge and a new perspective on the world.

Windhoek is a beautiful city, nestled in green mountains. I love my walks through Windhoek. It’s still warm when I go walking at night, and I usually see beautiful sunsets. I love wandering the streets and neighborhoods, discovering new gems. I have come to terms with the fact that my favorite thing to do here is go on leisurely strolls throughout the city, taking everything in, rather than going out at night. I struggled with this at the beginning of the semester, because I felt isolated from the social activities of most of the students here. But now I just enjoy my walks, and I know I’ve seen more of Windhoek than many of my peers here.

I’ve found a bakery/gelateria in downtown Windhoek, and every time I go into Windhoek I stop and buy gelato, a donut, or a pastry (or sometimes more than one). But who knows when I’m going to be back in Windhoek, so I might as well enjoy all the gelato and German pastries I can, right?

I know that this post doesn’t take into account any of the social issues that Namibia has to deal with on a daily basis and that I have been confronted with during my time here. But I think sometimes it’s good to focus on the little things that make me happy, and try to carry these into the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment