Wednesday, February 17, 2010

happy day

A Carnival update is coming soon!

Today I had one of those moments where I absolutely know I have chosen the right major (and the major I’m referring to here is religion, not history). I was doing one of my readings for my theology class, Theology of Creation, and it was from Pannenberg’s Toward a Theology of Nature. Now, Pannenberg and I have a sort of love/hate relationship. His writing is so difficult for me to get through, and he uses lots of big words I have to look up and I always have o re-read sections multiple times to even start to understand what his meaning is. But once I understand his writing, I absolutely love his ideas. So today I was reading a chapter called “Theological Questions to Scientists”, and it was all about looking for the link between science and religion, and the links between scientists and theologians and their works. Anyways, I was reading this chapter and Pannenberg lists the questions he is going to deal with in his chapter. The last question he introduced I had to re-read several times to comprehend what it was asking, but when I finally figured it out I couldn’t help but smile, because I found the concept so fascinating! I figure if the questions posed in a reading make me so happy to ponder, then I have to be studying the right subject.

The question that made me so happy:
“Is the Christian affirmation of an imminent end of this world that in some way invades the present somehow reconcilable with scientific extrapolation of the continuing existence of the universe for at least several billions of years ahead?” (Toward a Theology of Nature, 18)
This whole chapter was looking at questions like this one which attempt to find a way to reconcile the traditional differences between science and theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment