Monday, February 1, 2010

New Perspectives on Pirates of the Caribbean

This weekend, I've been watching the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and I have gained a new perspective on them due to my experiences here in Trinidad and Tobago. Yes, I realize this posting shows my nerdiness, and most of you probably don't care about my changing views of some of my favorite movies, but here they are anyways!

1. The water really is that blue. Before, I always watched these movies and thought the scenery was beautiful, but I did not think it was possible for the ocean or the sky to be that blue or the landscape so beautiful. It really does look like the pictures. Looking back at some of my pictures from Tobago, I realize that the landscape is truly amazing. It may look fake, but it is real.

2. I know what an obeah is. Tia Dalma is called an obeah at one point, and I now know what that is! (An obeah is kind of like a witch doctor, they practice voodoo)

3. It's weird to see a movie about the Caribbean with so many white people. Here, I am a member of the very small minority. Especially in Tunapuna, there is such a low white population that I stand out everywhere I go. The situation is much the same in the rest of Trinidad and Tobago. The Pirates of the Caribbean movies really only focus on one small segment of the population, and disregard the rest of the people. The colonial experience is depicted, but all of the colored people are left out from this interpretation. I realize that this is a fictional movie, but there is some historical background, and it romanticizes the roles of the whites while ignoring how they treated the classes beneath them.

No comments:

Post a Comment